Friday, August 28, 2009

Full Time Hobby


I really believe that success takes a lot of hard work. It's hard to not get caught up in the idea that everything should happen immediately. I have a tendency to rush through things and becoming impatient for the outcome. Because that is just how our culture is. We have learned to expect everything to happen minutes after we wish it.

I want to make a series of art and it's just not going to happen with the snap of a finger. It's going to take work. So I've committed myself to scheduling in, along with my "day job", 40 hrs a week just for that. My skills aren't where they need to be to create the caliber of art that I want so I'm going to work until they are. Because when you are passionate about what you want in life then you need to live like you are. No more just talking about it, writing hundreds of lists and goals. At some point it has to come time to just do it. And thats where I'm at.

This is something that Mark has become very committed to as well. Since the first day we moved back (yes, literally the first day) he has been working on recording himself and other bands as well as preparing to play a show in September. I've heard him say many times that he will record something until it is as close to perfect as it can be. "No more 'It's good enough'" he says. And I think that is just the attitude we are both going to adopt to make all these dreams of ours a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment