Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fresh bread and honey butter


My uncle Merlin's Hawaiian bread recipe has been sitting in my in box for months. It's hasn't been that I don't want to make it, it's that bread scares me. It seems so fussy and easy to mess up. Yet I made it, and it worked, and it was delicious. So was the honey butter I made to go on top. Dinner club was delicious as always.

(Makes 6 loaves)
12 cups plain flour
6 eggs
2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups warm water
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp vanilla
4 TBSP yeast
1 cup butter

Beat eggs; add pineapple juice, water, sugar, ginger, vanilla, and melted margarine. Put 3 cups flour in a large mixing bowl. Add egg mixture & stir & stir until well mixed. Sprinkle in yeast 1 TBSP at a time, mixing well. Gradually add another 3 cups of flour. Batter will be hard to mix with a spoon. (I did not find this to be true, it was still very liquidy compared to what I thought it would be like). Leave batter in bowl, cover with a cloth & place in warm place. Let rise one hour. Remove cover & knead in remaining 6 cups of flour. Knead about 10 times. Divide into rolls or loaves and place in well greased pans. Cover & place in warm place to rise for 1 hour. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes.

Honey Butter recipe: melt butter and honey together and bring to slight boil. Let harden in freezer or fridge. Whip before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment